Pros/ DO IT!
- It's Cute. Duh! [Pretty earrings to match pretty little outfits! :) ]
- Chances are she will choose to get her ears' pierced later in life. Why not do it now and get it over with?
- It is less painful for a baby because their ear lobes are thinner. (So I hear).) Baby will forget about the pain quickly... an older child will remember this memory. I personally am happy to not have this memory, even though it's not that painful.
- This is not an abnormal thing for a parent to do... people have been piercing their ears for thousands of years. It's not like you are piercing your baby's belly button!
- It's socially acceptable to have ear piercings.
- The internet causes so much room for dramatizing every and any issue you never considered to be an issue in the first place. Do what you want as a parent. I've never heard of a girl complaining and irate about their mother piercing their ears when they were a baby. Just saying!
- You as a parent have to provide daily ear care to make sure it doesn't get infected. Baby can't take care of it. (Obviously)
- Baby might pull on the earrings or get it snagged on something and rip it out.
- Baby does not choose to get a hole in their ear. Violation of baby's body???
- Baby could swallow the piercing.
- Doctor might not like the idea... though you can ask. (Update: Miss A's doctor is fine with it.)
- You could hold off the excitement until she is older, when she asks to have her ears pierced. It will be a special occasion for her.
However, I need people to convince me that it is okay to do it. This is mainly because of my baby's paternal grandmother and maternal great-grandmother who are strongly opposed to the idea. My mom is PRO ear piercings... but that is because she did mine and my sisters at a very young age.
Let me know what you think. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!
xx Monica xx
Update: My baby's ears are pierced now... Here is her ear piercing story! =)