October 19, 2012

Making the Switch from Crib to Toddler Bed

When is the right time to make the big switch from crib to toddler bed?

I insisted upon doing it now at 15 months old. I didn't have any real reason to switch other than being tired of having her in a crib. She is 25 pounds... not a lot, but maybe for a 15 month old, so she is fairly heavy. I am tired of lifting her in and out of the crib. I also want to be able to kiss her good night once she's laying down beneath the blankets. A crib makes this impossible... so I have only been kissing her finger that she holds out to me to kiss each night. (Cute huh?) So, while my reasons for moving to the toddler bed are minor, they were good enough to start thinking serious about it.

I asked my husband what he thought about the idea. He was extremely helpful...  He says, "What does the book say?" I'm thinking, "Are you kidding me? What book? Parenting is a step by step, follow the instructions book?" Yeah... my husband is hilarious.

I posted my thoughts of our new transition on Facebook... and only received negative feedback. Don't do it because of all the obvious reasons I have already thought about... :/ Mainly that she will be able to climb in and out of her bed as she pleases. Oh and I will regret it. I am thinking that this means I should keep her in a cage for the rest of her life. In which case, I'll stick to my own parenting style!

So after three nights and three nap times of sleeping toddler bed style, we've had our achievements and struggles. She went to bed perfectly the first two nights. She laid right down and fell asleep to her music and stars-on-the-ceiling night light. No fuss. No climbing out. Angel baby. Last night, however, we had a little difficulty. She climbed out of her bed after I laid her down for the first time (of many to come, i'm sure). I laid her down again and shut off all the lights in the house. She runs out of her room again. And one more time. The fourth time, I sat next to her bed for about 10 minutes and she fell right asleep.

My sister warns me that she might be doing good now but just wait until the terrible twos. We will find out what happens when the time comes. For now, I'm happy to be able to tuck her in better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!
xx Monica xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...