October 22, 2011

Breastfeeding Crisis at 3 Months


I am having a major crisis. I feel like I am failing as a mother because I have fallen into the "convenience trap" of formula feeding. This past month, I gave Miss A so many bottles of formula that I'm beginning to dry up! I haven't been devoting my time to breastfeeding like I should be doing. Miss A used to nurse really well every morning. Now I can hardly get her to nurse for longer than one minute. Originally, I set a three month breastfeeding goal for myself. I achieved it but now I feel that it is my responsibility as a mother to give her breast milk until she is at least six months old. I know that breast milk is the best thing for her. It's much better than formula and since I am able to produce milk for her, I shouldn't stop simply because it's easier and faster to heat up a bottle and put powder in it.

In order to get myself back on the right track, I am going to start supplementing my diet with 500mg capsules of Fenugreek. It is an herb that is supposed to help nursing women increase their milk supply. I am also going to focus on drinking lots of water. Today specifically, I am doing power pumping sessions. I'm basically pumping every hour. It's VERY time consuming but I really want to give Miss A more breast milk than formula.

I have already started a post on "My Experience Using Fenugreek" so I can let everyone know whether or not it is effecting my milk supply. I plan to update everyone on my progress once each week. As of now I do not know how long I plan on taking it.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!
xx Monica xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...